Monday, November 28, 2016

Heyyyy! First Real Week!

Hola Fam!!!

Well shoot, where to begin?! Okay, so yea, I'm here in Chihuahua. Needless to say the first full day here I had zero, and I mean ZERO clue what was happening or where I was or what I was doing or what my companion, Elder Lopez, was trying to say to me because he can't speak English.

One week later, here I am in love with Chihuahua, I am trying to teach the people, I absolutely adore my companion and we can talk and laugh together, and I'm really just grateful for this oppurtunity to be here!!

It goes without saying that my Spanish is still no where near perfect, and like 7 out of 10 times I have to ask people to repeat something or I have to clarify what they're talking about... But I'm managing through faith and trust and hope in all the promised blessings of being out here!

Well, I guess I'll start with what's up in Chihuahua! My area is Cerro Grande II.  My companion and I are basically opening up an area. We're living with two other Elders outside of our area, so every day we walk to our area and then we start proselyting and reaching out to people, finding homes, contacting, etc.  We have two investigators right now that are already progressing pretty well!  We're also trying to reinvite menos activos (less actives) to church and help them to remember the mighty change of heart that they had, and that's going pretty well too.


Pues (well), the Spanish here is a little different, and to the Argentine side of our family, I will most definitely come home speaking like a latino. There is an Elder here from BueƱos Aires, and he knows the city of Lujan and so we were able to talk a bit!!!  So that's cool.

No lie, my mind is all over the map right now. I guess I wanna share a story of my first reallllll adventura qui (adventure here) in Chihuahua. It was late at night, and Elder Lopez and I were on splits with another missionary, Elder Solis, another latino Elder, and we needed to meet up with the Elders that were with Solis' companion, if that made sense. Anyway, it's like 8:30 PM, and it's pretty stinking dark out, and Elder Lopez is on the phone with the other group of missionaries trying to figure out where to go.

Long story short, we ended up on top of a mountain and were soooo lost it was hilarious!! Elder Lopez was on the phone and apparently the Elder on the phone told him there were escaleras (stairs) down the mountain, and so Elder Lopez took a couple steps forward and the mountain was soooooo steep and there were no stairs anywhere!  So the three of us were just mad cracking up at the top of a mountain... (This probably isn't funny at all for you guys but ohhhh my gosh we were dyingggggg!!).

Anywho, on a more spiritual note, the next day, at about 7 a la noche (at night), Elder Lopez and I were walking the streets, trying to find the house of somebody we talked to a couple days before, when a car pulls over and the people explain that they're members, and that somebody is sick at their house and they want our help for a blessing. So, we get in the car after chatting a bit, and they take us to their house and as we step inside we can here somebody kinda yelling in pain. So, Elder Lopez and I enter this bedroom and there is a man, probably 38-42 years old, laying on his bed, literally biting on a towel and screaming because this guy is in so much pain. So he's writhing in pain and he's crying and he just can't keep still and he's clutching his lower back... 

Anyway, Elder Lopez and I give this man a blessing, and during the blessing, I kid you not, this man, who couldn't even tell us his name he was hurting so bad, went from writhing, to almost sleeping. The Spirit in that moment was so strong and gave witness to me yet again that the Priesthood is so real and that miracles still do happen and that the work that we're doing out here as missionaries is sooo important.  Everyone that was in that room knows that there is no such thing as a coincidence in that moment.

Another big spiritual moment for me was Sunday. We all bore testimony and that was great, and the Spirit was so strong, but then the speakers delivered their talks.  And all of them expressed gratitude for the missionaries, which was really touching... but what really struck me was the last speaker when he was talking about sacrifice. He said that us missionaries are sacrificing everything to be here -- work, school, family, or whatever.  And that's true, but the interesting thing is, I really don't see this as a classic sacrifice. Normally, when we think about sacrifice we think about giving up things. But really, in my whole week out in the field here, I really don't feel like I'm losing anything. Rather, I'm gaining so much out here. A stronger testimony, the oppurtunity to help others, etc. I mean, really, I've received soooo many blessings from being here that it really, really doesn't feel like a sacrifice for me. And for this, and for all my many blessings I've received, I'm so very thankful.

So yea, that's kinda what I took away from this week. It really has been great so far. I'd love to tell you more about my investigadores (investigators), but a veces (at times) I can't totally understand all their words, soooo I can't really give you all the deets. Just know that they're happy and Elder Lopez and I are trying our best! :)

Well, that's about it for this week. Every day is a blessing, and every day is a gift.  Also, yea Mom, Elder Templeton is totally in my District!!  I had lunch with him and played soccer with him today!!!

So yea that's about it, I love you guys so much, stay awesome!

Until next week,
With love,
Nick
A last minute snap of Elder McIntosh, me, and Elder Jones at the CCM
And, following are a few pics of our place in Chihuahua.



No comments:

Post a Comment