Monday, January 2, 2017

Cambios (Changes)!!

Familia!

Well, where to begin?! This past week we had the new year and Christmas, all were pretty good to say the least! It was real chill, but real good too. I'm starting to understand a lot more Spanish, or at least a little more, but you know, everyone tells me to keep working and give it time, so yea that's the plan!

Mom, that Nacimiento (nativity) you gave me that was made out of paper?  Well, I gave it to one of the families we're teaching, and they loved it. It's the young family with 2 little girls.  We gave it to them, and the next visit, they totally had it up and they colored it in and it was really cute.  No, I'm sorry, I didn't take a picture but they really loved it and helped them have a reminder about Christ during the holiday.

Well, we had changes today, and I got a new companion and he's real cool. He's really excited to do some work; so I have really high hopes about these next 6 weeks. I think we'll be able to get some good work in, and hopefully find some people who are prepared to hear the gospel message. Pero, esta es la rosa (But, this is the thing) people need 5 weeks church attendance to be baptized, and changes are in every 6 weeks... and my comp finishes his mission at the end of this change... sooo... yea, I hope we'll be able to find someone to teach and support early so my comp can finish strong with a baptism!   He really isn't trunky at all and he's an absolute rock of a guy.  So, I'll call that my New Year's resolution! 

So, things I've learned...

Well, that we need to continue to work. And there are two stories I'd like to use to relate to this.  

To start, we need to work with what we have, and do all we can, and pray for help from our Brother and Father to do the rest.  I like to think of it like when Christ fed the 5000 with the loaves and fishes. When the people had been waiting and clearly needed food, His disciples suggested sending the people away to go get their own food, but Christ knew better, right? He simply asked for what they had, and He magnified it until there was excess of 12 baskets.  And I like to think about that as work, effort and energy from each one of us. Like right now, I have work to do. And my best effort, sometimes, a lot of times, amounts to nothing more then a few fishes and some bread, if that makes sense. But the thing I like is that Christ doesn't look at our few 'fishes and bread' and say 'Really?' Nope!  He just asks for what we have, and to give all we have, and He'll help us.  Instead of saying 'Come on, is that it?' He says 'Thank you. Now lets see what we can do.'  And this is honestly something that keeps me going, especially when I get a little discouraged with stuff like the language or whatnot.

The second story that I relate to us is found in John, when Christ resurrects, leaves, and comes back to find His Apostoles fishing. And then when his Disciples return to the shore, he asks Peter three questions.  "Do you love me?" three times.  And each time Peter says "Yes", to which the Lord's response is "Feed my sheep."  And this is yet another source of inspiration for me.  I really do love the Lord, and I'm trying really hard to feed His sheep. So, I'm figuratively coming forth with my bread and fish and ask for His help, and I feel it regularly. I just hope and pray that I do my best to give Him something to work with.

Well, I hope you guys are all feeling the blessings of our God, and I hope all is well. I have an incredible amount of faith in the promised blessings of this work, and you, my family, are the reason I'm here. So thank you all for all that you do. Les amor (love you) :)

Until next week,
Nick 

And thank you for the cards Abu and the Alstons!!!! I love you guys so much!!!  And following is the view and sunset from the top of Cerro Grande (It's a huge hill with a big cross on it).




No comments:

Post a Comment